Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tired of Office jobs? Try this..

I used to ignore anything about working at home. I have read about it so many times but I don't think it will really work.

Not until last year.



I never thought I would have to quit my 7 solid years of working in a call center. I thought it wouldn't be easier for me since I am a kind of person who talks most of the time, hang around with friends and work overtime with paperworks. I haven't thought of giving up my vampire life working as a Quality Analyst.

I got tired of my stupid boss, lame company rules, vacation leaves that is very hard to file..

And dogs that chased me every time I get off to work at 2 in the morning.

I resigned from HSBC call center in Alabang early January last year. I remembered at that time, I didn't buy a newspaper to look for a job anyways. I enjoyed playing and checking on status messages in Facebook.

It bumped to me my friend's profile information:

Employer: oDesk

The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk



I opened my browser and search for oDesk. I was just planning to sneak what it's all about. I didn't even notice that I am creating my own profile.

I didn't know their requirements.

Do I need to pass a resume? Do I need to meet certain criteria just to be accepted?

I read everything that I need to know while finishing my oDesk profile.

It's a good thing they have several list of exams to test your skills. Tried and tested, this boost up my oDesk profile. I polished my profile and applied for jobs that I am confident of working with until someone hired me -- I think that's Technorati. :P

I was hired in another call center at the same time. I got two jobs! That was pretty cool, right?

But I got tired of allotting at least 4 wasted hours of preparing to go to work, travelling and choosing which clothes and shoes to wear that day. I resigned after 6 months and chose to accept home works.

I do not care about the preparation time because I can wake up anytime without thinking that I'll be late for work. I can work with my shorts and almost a rugged shirt on. I can have dinner, cook my own food while my time is running while working. I don't need to have 2 15-minute breaks to smoke. I can smoke anytime that I want to.

They say home work is not a fixed job after all. Well, I can attest that office job is not as well fixed, if you mess up with that.

Today's date is October 13 and I am still an employee of Technorati. I didn't mess up after all, if I do, I should have lost the trust of the Vice President I am reporting with.

I took the risk of speaking to myself, not seeing my friends and drinking buddies in the call center, I'm thinking about fulfilling what I want, what my daughter needs and what my future will lead me -- and that is working wherever I am comfortable with -- here at home. =)

2 comments:

  1. Home working is the industry of tomorrow. Im wondering how it hasn't picked up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's right. I just noticed it lately. But I think it is picking up already here in the Philippines, slowly though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails