Friday, October 15, 2010

How about my time, Mom?


After my separation with my ex-husband four years ago, I chose to live alone, previously renting a condo unit and now, a small crib.

My mom took care of my daughter, Amber from the time of separation up until now.

My reason of not staying with my daughter? I am working for her needs.

And my personal reason is freedom so I can do what I want to do.

Every week, I stayed at my mom's place to supposedly spend some time with my daughter. Apparently, that didn't happen. Workaholic as I am, I spent almost all my time in front of my laptop, working - if not, playing in Facebook.

Amber is such a sweet baby. She just let me do what I want to do while writing, or drawing, or creating a card for me.I could even count the minutes I spent to talk with my daughter.

Time passed as I work quietly from home. I was knocked down by realization.

I am missing Amber so much.

I spent time to talk to her on the phone, chatted about kid stuff, what she did in school and what are her favorite subjects. I could sense the happiness in her voice.

I brought her to my place, spent one night bonding together, cooked for her. It almost broke my heart seeing my daughter contented on a simple fried hot dogs as our dinner. She said it was the most delicious meal she had in her life.

I was totally wrong. I became selfish. I haven't thought about my loving daughter who loves me despite the fact that I am away from her. It's not always having a relationship with someone.

It's not always the most expensive toys that matters.

It's not always the money that  I spend with her every week.

It's about the time I lost for almost four years, spending time with the most important person in my life.

I know that there are working moms sharing the same sentiments like I do. We will lose our job anytime. We can be replaced by others if we show our bosses we are not capable of doing something they will ask. Some people will be part of our lives, who would like to share romantic pieces of their history. They'll stay or leave us.

But always remember, there's one person in this world that no matter what we do, what mistakes we have been through, even when you are already incapable of doing something, someone will stay behind your back, hold your hands and will be your number one fan - for me, that's Amber.

2 comments:

  1. Don't deprive your daughter the happy childhood that she deserves. Minsan lang siya magiging bata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. :( That's the saddest part. Pero I make it a point naman na everytime I go home, nasa kanya lang ng buo ang oras ko. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails